Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ubud In The Night

Day 3, 19 February 2011
The Football Field
Here's a revelation that struck us - we used to eat almost non-stop every time we are in Bali; wake up to breakfast before 10am, head out for lunch by 12pm, afternoon tea at 3pm, dinner at 6pm, snacks at 8pm... how did we manage all that! Then again, we also used to walk a lot more than we biked! It was crazy. We were constantly stuffing our faces.

So, this time, we decided to do things differently; we'll share-share. That's right. We'll place one order for food and drink, and share the portions. I think that turned out really well. We ended up getting to try more food, and not have to live with the guilt of all that fat getting into our bodies. How awesome is that?

Our first dinner in Ubud was by the football field, at Tutmak's. We had the Beef Burger with Cheese (58,500rp) and a Frozen Cappuccino (20,000rp); which works out to be something like S$8 for the burger and S$2.90 for the drink!! Verdict: lip-smacking delicious. Enak!

You should give them a try the next time you're in Ubud. You won't regret it.

Tutmak: Jl Dewi Sita, Ubud (by the football field)
We took a walk down the streets after dinner, and spotted these "lanterns" hanging off a tree, just outside a restaurant. It's amazing how little it takes to light up the streets in Bali. About 5 years ago when we visited, electricity trips were a common sight. Restaurateurs were so used to it, their staff would walk out with candles for your table, in the event of a power trip/failure. People learn to adapt and use what they have, when they don't really have all that much. And that's what the Balinese are really good at.

I think living in a city and being engrossed with work and all, kills our souls. It's in the peace and quiet of a place like this, that you get to stop and smell the flowers... you don't see people (with iPhones!) constantly yakking away, raising their voices, feeling disgruntled/frustrated... everyone's just - happy and contented with life.

I used to think Ubud was boring, empty, bleh. Like there wasn't anything here that I would come back for. I can't explain it, but this time, I felt I could actually live here. It's nice and quiet enough in Ubud, vs Kuta which is so busy and crowded it feels like I've never really left SG. And with the bike, we get to scoot around the streets and get to stop whenever/wherever. It is just perfect.

pretty lights
skyline from the football field

No comments: