Monday, February 21, 2011

Another Day in Paradise

Day 5, 21 February 2011
Dreadful Mondays, saved by fact we're 1,000miles away from home
I decided to be "adventurous" and ordered pineapple juice for breakfast this morning (along with the usual banana pancakes, fruits and tea, that is). It was erm, ok. I wouldn't order it again though... not that it tasted bad or anything... it was pineapple juice alright.


I think I haven't mentioned this in any of my posts to date, but we have with us a very trusty companion this trip. I'm happy to introduce Huawei:

Huawei, hard at work
We work, he works. When we're not working, he would still work! (Although he's got his temperaments too) Thanks to L, who decided to adopt him just before our trip. Such foresight. So it's a Monday morning, and y'all know what they say about Mondays, right? I suppose the 'manic Monday' and 'Monday blues' apply whether we're at home or on holiday. What was supposed to be completed last Friday got put off because no one's in the mood to work and beer o'clock beckons at 3pm. Come Monday, work piles up, on top of the leftovers from Friday... you get the idea.

We spent a few good hours in the room working, replying emails, oh yeah, and dealing with one long-distance call (which I later found out cost me S$65! Bugger!).

And before we knew it, it's past 3pm and lunch is way overdue! The thing about us, is we don't plan the day. We just sorta let it unfold with time, so we can soak in all that is to come. We took a ride and decided to stop at this little place called - Kafe. It looked like a nice, quiet environment to sit, eat and people-watch. We struck up a conversation with a guy whom we overheard, was speaking to one of the cafe staff, in Bahasa Indonesia. We had wanted to find out which was a good telco provider for a SIM card to purchase and we had such difficulties trying to find answers from any of the locals. As we spoke, we found out he was waiting for his friends to go to *drum rolls* a yoga session just down the street! He's an Eat Pray Lover! And then I looked around and realised we're in a veggie grazing place. Again. I stared at the menu for the longest time, trying to figure out what the hell I should order (while L was deeply engrossed with his convo), because it was 3pm and I was starving, so no, I wasn't about to settle for a salad or some organic juice. Final decision: spaghetti bolognese. How wrong can that be, right? And I was right, it tasted quite yummy (either that or I was too famished by now to tell what's good and what's not), albeit a little cold to the taste. Would I come back here for seconds? Perhaps for a normal cup of coffee... because everything else is too eat pray loving to my liking. There's absolutely nothing wrong with veggies or organic foods, I'm just an omnivore by nature (I eat selective type of veggies and a whole lotta meat!) and I need some meat right now.

spaghetti bolognese at Kafe: Jl Hanoman 44, Padangtegal, Ubud-Bali

No comments: