2011 ended in pain. I ushered in the new year with a headache. I did not stay up to watch the countdown, nor responded to the "Happy New Year" messages that came from friends... although I could hear all the screaming neighbours and their party poppers... and the fireworks in the skies amidst my groggy-ness of trying to fall asleep. Not the best way to end the year but it really didn't matter. Like, really. I think I have work-withdrawal syndrome. Each time I stay at home over a long weekend, I'm sure to waste at least a day nursing a freaking headache. I figured it must either be too much sleep, or watching too many movies on my laptop. Or simply the sum of both.
So on the first day of the new year, I got up at 10am and what did I do? Watched more movies on my laptop. But I also decided to head out for food (although I did still get a headache, it got better through the day).
I think all the countdowns are too close to one another this year. Countdown to Christmas, countdown to 2012, and then the counting down to Chinese New Year. Come to think of it, why do people bother with countdowns? I mean, after all the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1s, it's just another day isn't it? Or isn't it? The next day will arrive like it always does... so what significance is there in a countdown? It's just a matter of one believing it's a "new start", "new beginning"... perhaps the Grinch in me hasn't left since pre-Christmas... or I've arrived at a stage where nothing else matters except the 'now'. You don't have to wait till Chinese New Year to clean out your house or repaint that wall - you pick a day and just do it, no? And having new clothes/shoes/bras/panties for CNY, you can have all of that any other day too, no?
This doesn't sound like a very positive first post for the new year, does it? But I'm not upset or anything though... I'll still welcome anyone who wants to come by this CNY to soak in all the festive cheers... IF I'm in town, that is.
Be well and dream big this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment