Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Drama vs The Departure

Day 1, 17 February 2011
All was good, I was enjoying an overpriced cup 'o tea at the airport and waiting for L to arrive... Time check: 3:10pm. Plenty of time before the ETD at 4:20pm. We checked in online, so we went through the boarding gates earlier, thinking we could would do a little walking around, shopping, see what's new, etc

3:33pm Received an email from client, requesting for materials to be delivered by Mon, 21 Feb. Thinking how the airport is supposedly well-equipped with wi-fi booths, we searched for an internet station, so we could download the required materials and then work off that in Bali. Mood: somewhat calm.

After walking from one end to the other end of the hall, we finally found an internet station, only to realise we did not have an internet cable! Then it struck me; perhaps I should just postpone our flights for another day, just so we could get this done. Time check: 3:45pm. Mood: frustrated.

L said he'll try to do what he can in the meantime, while I go check on options to re-schedule flight. Took me at least another 10min to speak with the relevant person and I was told I had to head back out to the check-in counters in order to re-schedule flight. Time check: 4:12pm. Mood: frustrated, annoyed.

L suggested I leave as planned, and that he'll join me the day-after. I've been to Bali many times, but never alone! So I wasn't about to take that option. Time check: 4:18pm. Mood: anxious, confused, panicky.

Finally, L said "Let's just get on the plane anyway, I'm sure we'll be able to get it done there." We dashed to the boarding gate, through the scanners, and were absolutely the last passengers to board. Time check: 4:25pm. Mood: tired.

Everyone's usually in the best of moods when they get on a plane, isn't it? Not so in my case. I boarded with a fucking terrible headache that stayed with me through the flight. What made it worse was having to endure non-stop chatting from the passengers behind me. And this totally did not help the headache at all. I had to pop a panadol extra to calm my nerves (which did not help) and when we arrived 2hrs later in Denpasar, I couldn't wait to plonk myself on a bed and just sleep the drama away.

We made it on flight afterall
But no amount of painkillers would help my headache...

No comments: