Monday, October 27, 2008

Happiness is a state of mind.

I met up with a bunch of ex-agency colleagues for dinner & coffee tonight and one of them said something that sorta struck me. Something that I've known and have heard but have not thought about for a while - "happiness is a state of mind". You may be happy one moment and minutes later, you may not be.

Such a simple logic... but sometimes, we choose to think anything but happy thoughts. I am guilty of feeding into negativity. I'm sure you are too. We're only humans.

Another girlfriend reminded me that we're fortunate to be able to shop a little and indulge in coffee and hi-teas while others cannot even afford life's little luxuries. It is such little remarks that put me back into perspective... and think that yeah, I am lucky to have some money in the bank... lucky to be doing what I enjoy... lucky that someone loves me and that I have someone to love.

Which brings me to another aspect: assurance. Everybody needs to be assured at one time or another. A simple hug, a nod, a wink even, might just do it. When was the last time you hugged someone and made them felt assured of their existence? I know I don't do it enough so yes, I'm gonna learn to make it a way of life *smiles*

No comments: