Sunday, May 6, 2007

Memories of Ah Ma

Lionel discovered this coffee shop some time ago that's sorta like frozen in time... everyone there knew one another and I bet they'll catch up over coffee/tea every morning before going about their own business for the day.

On its wall is a tear-sheet calendar that I thought no one uses anymore - it's a flip-page calendar that's attached to a metal plate with illustrations and the text is in green... if you have no idea what I'm talking about, you're probably too young.

And then there was was whiff of 'ang hoon' smell (tobacco) that Lionel brought to my attention; it so reminded me of my Ah Ma!

When I was a little girl, I would always volunteer to help her pack & roll her tobacco so she could have her daily stick. And Ah Ma always said I messed up her rolls! (After which she would have to re-do them over again but it's such moments that brought us both closer to each other). Those were the days... and I still think of Ah Ma every now and then.

She would ever so patiently wait for me at the void deck, to visit after my school hours... the two of us would watch Cantonese opera shows on TV in the afternoons although I have no idea what it's all about... she would cook me a bowl of Maggie mee and I only had to ask... and sometimes, she would show me her priced collection of banana notes and coins from WW1... and also sometimes, she would spoil me with an ice cream or sng pao (aka flavoured ice sticks)!

Ah Ma passed away several years ago, from diabetes. It was a heart-wrenching sight to see her suffering in her last days, so perhaps it was a relief for her to go... she was the kindest person I've ever known, and very selfless. Everyone who had known her had not one negative comment about her.

Ah Ma may be gone physically but fond memories of her will always be etched in my mind and I would want my children to know what a wonderful woman their great-grandmother was to me.

No comments: