A milestone year for all of us born in '75.
Today, I went to a schoolmate's wake. He would have turned 50 in 14 days. I wasn't particularly close to him or knew him very well, but he's joined us for our group dinners a couple of times pre-covid.
Life is such. You never know when it's time to go. But in his case, he knew. He knew his kidneys were failing him and it was a matter of time. But I don't think anyone can really be totally prepared when the actual time comes. His partner said he was heavily sedated the last 2 days... to keep him comfortable and to allow his mind to rest...
I told my classmates I would want to see all of them before I go... and not have them come to my wake only to see me cold. I want to have a last word, a final conversation, a final goodbye and possibly collect the "pek kim" money from them too, I joked. What good is all the money collected when I do not have another generation to leave to? I would rather use all the money and spend it on my own funeral in my own terms. I have no daughters nor sons to benefit from my wealth.
I need to think about 'estate planning'. I do have fleeting thoughts about it.. but I never really indulge. I should. Seeing how I am single.
#pennyforthoughts #estateplanning #livelaughlove
No comments:
Post a Comment