Friday, May 18, 2012

Tiong Bahru.

I almost had a chance to live in this neighborhood; that is, if my dad had put his foot (and money) down on a unit at Bo Bo Tan Gardens. But that's another story altogether, and I shall not get to that today.

The boyfriend suggested we had breakfast before heading in to work. I happily obliged, of course! What a way to start a Friday morning! He wouldn't say where we were headed, so I only found out when we got there. Ahh... Tiong Bahru. We had just discovered this bakery a few nights ago when we had dinner at the adjacent coffee shop. Full glass windows... wide array of home-made breads displayed... nice furniture... crowded. Yes! It was totally packed with people! On a working, Friday morning. What jobs do these people hold? I'll like to do what they do; sit around in a cafe and chat my morning away. But then again, I do have a job like that.

Tiong Bahru Bakery: 56 Eng Hoon Street #01-70
{If may also wanna check out The Orange Thimble right next to them!}
all sorts of breads. *for display only*
loved the big wooden swivel  door
Moving along... I sent the boyfriend off to order "whatever he thinks is nice" for the two of us. And he came back with these (and two cups of cappuccino), and a whopping bill of $22!

some almond sponge cake thingy
some chocolaty-biscuit thingy
I think it's way too much to pay $22 for 4 tiny items in a cafe that's situated in a housing estate vicinity. I wouldn't mind it the first time, but I wouldn't also be coming back for seconds or thirds any time soon. It's just not something I'll splurge on on a weekly basis. But having said that, you should go check them out, because I read on Twitter, that their croissants are a hit.

Cafes like this are sprouting out all over the neighborhoods... as a matter of fact, there's one just on the ground level of my HDB block! They're a tiny outlet, opened by folks who used to roast coffee beans at Papa Palheta. They're not exactly a cafe, but more of a take-away joint. I'm really not a coffee person, but I'm sure I will order a cup soon.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

No comments: