Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Memories are for keeps

I was lying in bed, chatting with my mum last night (this is a regular thing we do each night... yeah, we'll talk till we fall asleep! ha ha ha... but that's also because we get so little time to talk during the day and I almost always get home after 10pm)

So anyway, I was telling her I actually remember "ee po" (i.e. my grandmother's sister) and that I remembered how she would shout out my name each time she visited my Grandma's house... I could remember my Grandma's old house at Jalan Membina; the dark corridors that led up to her 1-room flat... I could so remember my time spent with my Ah Ma... speaking of which, I do miss her.

The conversation continued and then mum tells me about what she remembers about my childhood. She recalled how my grandpa doted on my brother more than I (yes, in those days, little girls were pretty "worthless") and each time he comes by, he'll only want to bring my brother out. And poor lil' me would sit at a corner and cry. That's when my Dad would step in and tell Grandpa - he either brings both of us out, of not take us out at all! Cos dad thinks favouratism would drive a wedge between my brother and I, well, eventually. (But that never happened of course.)

Oh, and then mum said I got "smarter". The next time I spotted Grandpa's van in sight, I would put on my socks/shoes and hop into the van so he wouldn't leave me out of the excursion! Oh, and mum says grandpa would buy toys for my brother and I'll look longingly at the toys and then tell my bro "Kor, can I play with it when you're done?" *laughs* I'm such a pathetic lil kid, huh! :p but hey, I do miss my Grandpa too.

I also remember how I'll stand on both of Grandpa's feet and he'll raise 'em like a see-saw! O how I enjoyed such moments.

Mum says I was an introverted child and Dad would always encourage me to play with our neighbour's kids. Actually, I do recall how much I hate talking to people! At this point in our conversation, Mum laughed and said "Look what happened to you! How come you decided to talk/bitch so much these days!" *faints*

Bedtime conversations are lovely... only when I'm not too tired that is. Sometimes, I fall asleep just from hearing mum's chatter.

No comments: