Monday, December 31, 2007

I love my ABCs

It'd be a whole new year when the clock strikes 12 tonight. Kids will be back in school on the 3rd, in their sparkling clean uniforms (almost always new), wearing their new white shoes and most carrying a brand new school bag. I remember those days...

But I've been wondering what kids these days are learning in school *shrugs* I'm amazed and most times appalled at their thinking and ways... I'm not one of those whose eyes pop out when you mention you're a Uni-grad. I don't think anyone's intelligence is in any way defined by a piece of paper. I don't roll my eyes when you say you're an ITE graduate because some of them are more skilled than you think. BUT sadly, I've met some kids who have absolutely no idea what they want to do in life. They scrape through school just because they want that piece of paper that says 'Diploma'. They don't really care if the course they're in, is something that they'd want to pursue upon graduation *shakes head*

Kids grow up the way they do because of their upbringing - this is of utmost importance; as many of my friends who are mothers would agree I'm sure. Parental influence plays such a key part during the childhood/growing up years. No, I'm not a mother yet, but when I become one, I'd want to be a "cool mum". I'll love my kid(s) but not spoil them or spare them the rod. They can touch the wok while I'm cooking and feel the pain*, then learn never to do that again. They can run and kick a ball, play one-leg catching, slip and trip over... or fall into a drain and break a tooth... it's all a part of growing up.

I also want to talk to them like they understand, and not go through the "come and mum-mum your food..." type of kiddy talk. No offence to anyone who does that though. One man's meat, another man's poison. Ah well, being a mother is the toughest job ever but seeing your kid(s) turn out healthy, sane and they way you want them, is priceless.

So, having said all that... why did I post my ABCs? Cos I don't want them to just stop at 'A' is for Apple. I want them to know about Leeks, Jalepenos and Zucchinis. No kid of mine will be a mindless Lemming. Yes, you know the little things that you tell 'em to dig and they'll dig? Climb and they'll climb? If you miss out a command, they will just walk into a hole and fall to their deaths *tsk tsk*

*I'm talking about me. Mum said I crawled up one time when she was cooking and reached for the wok. Yeah, ouch. I never went near the kitchen following that.

No comments: