

Much as he has his silly antics, I love this dog. He's been stuck with me for the last 7 years (or more!) - since he's 4 months old, and has experienced much of my sorrows, joys, tears and frustrations...
My mum finds Chinkie a pain most of the time, only because she's currently not working and has to clean up after him everyday, but I know she adores him as much as she tries to deny it *laughs*
Now, if you're wondering where or how his name came about; it originated from my first dog with the very name. Actually, it's Kachinka to be exact and he was a Pekingese that's previously owned by a Japanese family who had to move back to Japan so they decided to give him up.
I was about 8 or 9 years old (I think) when Dad bought me the dog. I remember vividly the walks we'll have at West Coast Park and around our area at the Regent Gardens... and there were trips to the beach too. Speaking of which, did you know that dogs are natural-born swimmers? Dump them into the water and they'd start "paddling" back to shore. Dad was very strict with our dog. He would not have him beg for food or pee where he's not supposed to. Every wrong move would result in a canning - something that I suck at with my current pooch! And that's also why this current fellow is constantly begging for food when we're eating!
Anyway, the rest of the story with my first dog? We had to leave him with my auntie when we were shifting out from West Coast but I never got him back. I was "conned" into believing he would be happier running around in a garden which we did not have. And because my auntie lived some distance away from us, I never really got to visit him much. And then as a kid, I had other distractions in life that made me forget about Chinka after a while...
When I grew older and asked about him one day, I was told these:
1) He ran away (from my auntie's house) and never came back.
2) He died.
3) My uncle gave him away.
So until now, I have no idea what really happened! My uncle mentioned one time during a barbecue, that he actually hated that dog! He didn't like how Kachinka's face was too flat and that he panted too much. *laughs*
I hope Chinkie (btw, that's what we end up calling him, cos Kachinka's too much of a mouthful) is happy although I'm not the best owner he can have. I'm much too busy and lazy for evening walks and I'm almost always half-dead when I get home. But I do make an effort to throw him his bone so he gets some form of exercise around the house! (How lame huh!)
OK, pleeeeeeeease don't call me an irresponsible dog owner, because I do give him plenty of hugs, cuddles and kisses in place of an evening run.
Oh, and if anyone who happens to read this and can speak or understand the Japanese language, please tell me what "Kachinka" means? *smiles*
No comments:
Post a Comment