Saturday, April 13, 2024

Hello. Again.

I looked at my last entry and realised it's been almost a year... since then, I have found work and have been keeping myself busy (and useful!)

I am lucky that an ex client looked me up to help run some events around Asia. That's what's been keeping me busy. To date, I have flown to Shenzhen and Manila to help produce and manage their logistics and AV requirements and in the coming months, I will be off to KL, Bangkok, Bali, Hong Kong and India. In between of work last year, I've also taken time off and enjoyed a week in Bali, 2 weeks in Switzerland, Venice, Verona, Liechtenstein, Bern, Chur! And a short trip to BKK with my mom...

Before the end of this year, I will also be visiting Washington DC and New York – my first time!

There's so much to look forward to in life and I try and remind myself of that. Although to be honest, I end up burying myself in work all the time. I kinda enjoy what I'm doing right now because work gives me the opportunities to travel but it sometimes gets stressful too. Because I'm pretty much working on my own now. I have tonnes of emails to answer to every day, along with the event layouts I have to work on (event backdrops, directional signages, table tentcards, digital agendas, etc) I wish I had another pair of hands to help, but it's never easy to look for support when you need it. I pride myself to be able to 'track down' production support in most of the Asian countries I have to go to. I've worked with event companies who would very quickly tell me, "Oh, it's not easy to work with the people in XXX, it's better for you to fly in the crew from Singapore...". Yes, and no. It is never easy when I'm dealing with new people I have never worked with, and it's a risk I am willing to take. As much as Singaporeans are known to be efficient, we sometimes think too highly of ourselves. I always believe if you want to do something well, you have to do it yourself. 

Do I want to eventually hire permanent help and move into a small SOHO? Why not?

But I am also selective of work. I would really rather do direct work with a corporate client or an agency, than to work with a AV/production company. 

You get what you pay for when you decide to work with me. And more. That's what 2 decades of experience gives you.

It is 11.58pm now and I have to get up at 3.00am to get to an outdoor event by 5.30am. 

Today is one of those days I struggled to get through the day. I have my good days and my bad days. Everybody have their own struggles. Do not judge a person by how cheerful she is and dish the fact she might just need a hug. 

No comments: