Monday, November 30, 2020

Grey Skies

Backtrack to Sunday, 29 November 2020. It was one of my usual stay-at-home weekend. I would browse the e-papers, with Netflix playing in the background... and then browse some shopping sites, with absolutely no intention of purchase. It was a regular Sunday. Until I decided to check on my Facebook posts and read that he's passed on, on Monday, 23 November 2020. The post was published by his brother, to inform that his ashes have been scattered in the sea (as per his wishes)... and thanked everyone for the love they have shown to D when he was around. 

I worked with D when I was 26, 27 I reckon. That was during my stint at my second multi-national ad agency. D was an Art Director and I was the account manager. He was probably best known for his baggy jeans and oversized tshirts. A jolly good fellow of sorts... caring, generous. Jolly. You could almost always hear him go "How you doin'?", in his exaggerated American accent. 

We hung out a fair bit because we worked closely together. He treats everyone the same at work – always ready to help (no matter how ridiculous the deadlines!)

I remember I tore one of my contact lenses while rubbing my eyes and he actually walked to Bras Basah to help get me a replacement. This was just the sort of things he would do for his friends. 

After I left the agency, D moved to China to work and we never really kept in touch. 

Just last month, I commented on a post that he's published in Facebook and found out he's been back in SG for a year. He joked he hasn't heard from me since he's back and I said I'd buy him coffee soon! 

I'm sorry that coffee didn't come soon enough. I was looking forward to hear about his China experiences. 

I hope you're resting well, D. And may you go with the tide to all the places you've wanted to visit. 

Your passing came as a surprise to many of us who have had the opportunity to work with you. We have no idea how/why you're gone, but the memory of you will always live on in our hearts... 


No comments: